pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 'Old' Pan (pan-0.14.2.91-4mdk.i586.rpm): No longer insta

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 'Old' Pan (pan-0.14.2.91-4mdk.i586.rpm): No longer installs (Mageia)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 19:51:03 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:00:26 +0000 as excerpted:

> Having used 'old' Pan for many years (and having tried 'new' Pan a while
> ago), I have managed to install it on Mandriva 2010.2 and also Mageia-1
> and -2.
>
> But it won't install on Mageia-3 (Alpha2):
>
>   "...due to unsatisfied libpcre.so.0"
>
> and (using a slightly different Pan RPM):
>   "..due to unsatisfied libXft.so.1"
>
> Anyone here succeeded on Mageia-3-Alpha/Beta, by any chance?

The "lucky" hit on a google for libpcre.so.0 returns...

... which seems to indicate that (at least on freebsd) between
libpcre-8.21 and libpcre-8.30, the so bumped from libpcre.so.0 to
libpcre.so.1 .

The "correct" fix is to rebuild everything depending on libpcre that was
built against the old version.  On gentoo, there's a script (called
revdep-rebuild) that automates finding such issues and doing the
rebuilds, that experienced gentooers generally run routinely after every
major update.

However, such rebuilds can quickly get into "rpm dependency hell" on
binary-based distros, and there's a quick hack that OFTEN works, and
seemed to work as a temp fix in fbsd (also source-based) thread mentioned
above: do a symlink, libpcre.so.0 -> libpcre.so.1 .

Of course that very possibly won't solve the package dependency issue
(depending on how the dep is specified, as a specific file dep or a
package version dep) as rpm won't know, but if that's the only missing
dep, you should be able to do a --nodeps (or whatever) install, and it
MIGHT "just work".

But the symlink thing is just a hack that may or may not work, and may
break with other updates especially if you had to do the nodeps thing as
well, since you're bypassing rpm to do it.  The "correct" fix is as I
said, rebuild pan against the newer library.  But to do that you'd likely
have to install other deps, at least -dev(el) packages for various
libraries, and as stale as the old-pan code is, you may run into other
issues as well.  So I'd suggest /trying/ the hack.

I didn't look into it, but it's possible the libXft.so.1 issue can be
solved the same way, if for some reason the symlink trick won't work for
pcre and you need to try the other rpm.

Meanwhile, sysadmin suggestion.  Keep a file somewhere listing such hacks
and the reasons for them, along with any deps you pull in for packages
you build yourself, etc.  That allows you to undo or duplicate the hacks
at a future time, if necessary.

And of course, stale code does tend to break against modern systems
eventually.  So at some point you'll need to find a different solution.
But this isn't necessarily that point, and I'm sure you knew that already.

As for new-pan not satifying your needs, Heinrich has integrated a number
of updates over the last couple years, including a score-based automated
"actions" feature that finally replaces old-pan's "rules" feature for
automatically downloading/marking-read/deleting selected posts.  That was
the last major old-pan feature missing from new-pan, and new-pan now
natively supports binary attachments and secure connections as well,
features that had been on many pan user's wishlist for over a /decade/,
so you /may/ find it works for you now.  It's not identical, but with
actions replacing the last truly missing feature from old-pan and with
native binary uploading and secure connections now, you /may/ find the
change worth the retraining.

The one "accidental feature" of old-pan that I'm aware of that's still
missing, that simply can't be done in the same way (but there's a
different way that works) in new pan due to its transparent multi-server
handling feature, is old-pan's ability to categorize groups by simply
creating different "servers" for them, even if they all pointed to the
same physical server.  New-pan has a single (alphabetical) listing of all
subscribed groups, and can't categorize the same way because multiple
servers are handled transparently, with the group lists combined.

However, it's possible to work around that with a different new-pan
feature, just as the old-pan method of catagorization using multiple
servers was a workaround for the single list per server, no group
categories, issue.  It's just a different workaround.  In new-pan, the
workaround is to use new-pan's ability to set its data dir via the
PAN_HOME environmental variable.  You simply setup multiple pan
configurations, each in its own dir, and use a wrapper script to set the
environmental variable appropriately, before starting pan.  I've been
doing that with "new-pan" here, for years, now. =:^)