pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 'Old' Pan (pan-0.14.2.91-4mdk.i586.rpm): No longer insta

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 'Old' Pan (pan-0.14.2.91-4mdk.i586.rpm): No longer installs (Mageia)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 01:53:31 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:53:54 +0000 as excerpted:

> or try to find a different rpm, built against a more modern libpng (and
> probably not built against libcanberra at all),
> hopefully matching your system's libpng.

I should mention rpmfind.net as well.  If you're not familiar with it, I
suggest becoming so.  I know it helped me quite a bit back when I was on
Mandrake, nearing a decade ago now.  They have rpms for all the major rpm-
based distros, for pretty much all packages, for all the major targets
(certainly x86 and amd64, tho I guess they're generally i686 or whatever,
and x86_64, in rpm-land).

I just checked and they have pan clear back to 0.9.x, gnome-1-based era,
and definitely "old-pan" 0.14.x.  With an occasional tweak of deps
(checking for libwhatever instead of the non-lib-named whatever, or
similar, then using the nodeps option since you know you have the deps),
the rpms are often interchangable, so you can try suse, mandriva, red
hat, fedora, whatever, as long as you get the right arch-target and the
desired version.

Of course, for all I know that's where you're getting your rpms already,
but it's worth a mention, just in case.