pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] 'Old' Pan (pan-0.14.2.91-4mdk.i586.rpm): No longer insta

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] 'Old' Pan (pan-0.14.2.91-4mdk.i586.rpm): No longer installs (Mageia)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:53:54 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice Batey posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 18:52:44 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 19:51:03 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> do a symlink, libpcre.so.0 -> libpcre.so.1
>
>   I did that - and installation with "--allow-nodeps" did complete.
>
> It is working (posting this from Mageia-3-Alpha2),

=:^)

> although starting Pan
> does throw up the following error repeatedly:

> Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>
> (Pan:5355): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon:  Failed to load image
> '/usr/share/icons/oxygen/22x22/actions/document-save.png':
> Fatal error in PNG image file: Incompatible libpng version
> in application and library
>
> Is there a fix for that?!

That's two unrelated issues, I believe.

1) Google says libcanberra is gtk/gnome-sound-effects related.  Obviously
not critical.  I don't have a lot of knowledge/experience with that one.

2) libpng is a very widely used library for handling png-images,
including icons, thus the error loading the *.png icon.

It says version mismatch between the library and the app.  You're lucky
pan isn't segfaulting with that error, making it entirely unusable.
The "correct" way to fix it, again, would be a rebuild of the app, pan,
against the current system libpng.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's such an easy workaround for this
one.  One possible workaround is changing your icon theme, perhaps to
something using other than pngs.  Of course, that's going to change it
for a lot of other apps as well.  You could try just switching out the
single icon, since you have the path, but I suspect you will then have
the same problem with another icon.

Another possible workaround is library preloading, so it uses a custom
libpng version for pan.  However, while I know it's possible, I've never
done it (I just do a revdep-rebuild to catch and rebuild apps with such
problems, here, I don't run closed source servantware and on gentoo, the
default except for source-unavailable servantware is build from source,
so it's routine, and much easier), and you'd have to both procure the
correct library version, and install it so it doesn't interfere with the
normal system lib (replacing the normal system lib is out of the
question, as that would break all sorts of other apps!), THEN figure out
how to do the library preload stuff.  AFAIK, most people doing library
preload build the preloaded lib from sources, since letting the package
manager deal with it opens a whole DIFFERENT can of worms in terms of
interference with the system lib, etc.  And by the time you do all that,
you might as well just rebuild pan from sources against what you have,
anyway.

So given that pan is actually usable as-is, unless you want to tackle the
whole build from source thing, it's probably best to either just leave
things as they are, or try to find a different rpm, built against a more
modern libpng (and probably not built against libcanberra at all),
hopefully matching your system's libpng.