pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Segfault in today's pan.git updated

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Segfault in today's pan.git updated
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 06:31:27 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Sun, 23 Dec 2012 06:11:58 +0000 as excerpted:

> walt posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 17:01:11 -0800 as excerpted:
>
>> I've hit a few confusing problems after compiling pan.git today, but
>> this is the worst one: [snip]
>
>> Anyone else seeing the same with today's pan.git?  (commit 4f681cd2)
>
> Just getting ready to build and try it now.  I just pulled and am in the
> middle of my usual git whatchanged look around.

>> BTW, I don't know what diablo and xfeature are/do, so I don't know how
>> to test them.
>
> Diablo means devil, so I doubt a google would work very well for it, but
> IIRC (and I may well not), diablo was the name of a particular news
> server software app.  Meanwhile a google for xfeature turns up this (on
> the newsbin forums) for me, as the last hit on the first page:
>
> http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?t=28246
>
> Looks apropos.  Apparently xfeature is a headers compression feature
> standards extension that some servers make available.  It should say
> whether it's supported or not.  If not, shouldn't be a problem.  If the
> server says it's supported, it might be, particularly if pan's client-
> side support is buggy, as your other comments suggest.

Doing a git show on that commit (still HEAD) and (case insensitive)
searching the output for "diablo" returns only a handful of hits.  Based
on the if/then/else code in those hits, it appears xzver, diablo, and
xfeature, are three variants of the same header-compression theme.

Given the limited number of recent commits, depending on how far back
your last update was, you can probably rebuild and test on my present
version (f7ba64, obviously working here since I'm using it to post),
which should be stable, then if interested in pursuing it further, git
bisect from there to see what commit killed it for you.  (Altho, I'd
guess the commits labeled "intermediate", might not be usable, so you
might want to skip them.)