pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature request: multiple selections in task list

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature request: multiple selections in task list
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 05:07:45 +0000 (UTC)

Jay posted on Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:25:24 +0800 as excerpted:

> I know this won't make it into version 1.0 at this late date, maybe not
> even in 1.1,

FWIW, 1.0 has been at the top of the changelog for years, thru various
lead developers and in fact a full rewrite from C into C++, so when/if
1.0 happens is more or less arbitrary, but from my perspective (as a user
and list participant since the gnome-1-pan era, since 2002 so over a
decade now), pan is now 1.0-feature-complete, having gotten in the last
year or two both a replacement for the old-pan rules in the form of the
auto-* actions (preferences, actions tab), and the last couple long-
missing features to fill things out, binary posting and secure-connection
ssl/tls support (along with several other less major features).  So from
my perspective, it's ready for a 1.0 as soon as the current devs deem it
stable enough. =:^)  But other than the psychological significance, pan
has been running just fine with 0.x versions for over a decade and as I
said from gnome-1 era (at least), so I don't think 1.0 would really be
that big a deal for most users here, so when/if it happens is anyone's
guess.

> but I would really like to have the ability to select more
> than one task at a time, or select all pending/running tasks, to delete.
> Or select several to move to the top, etc.
>
> Sometimes I start to download several binaries then change my mind. It's
> a pain to have to select each one, one at a time, and hit my Delete key,
> over and over especially when there are hundreds in the queue. Sometimes
> i get so caught up in the rhythm of click-delete, click-delete that I
> accidentally delete a task that I actually wanted to keep. :)

Actually, there's no clue in your post what version you're running, but
multi-selecting tasks in the task list "just works"[1] here, on git-pan,
updated regularly from the official git repo[2].  So if it's not working
in whatever you're running or in the current version-release, it should
in the next one. =:^)

AFAIK I remember reading something about a fix for that not long ago, but
checked the git whatchanged log and didn't see anything about it going
back to December at least, so either it was before that, or the git
commit didn't mention the task-list multi-select fix, or maybe I'm simply
remembering wrong.  But in any case it does work in current git-pan.

---
[1] The usual shift-click range-select, ctrl-click multiple-individual-
select, "just works", as does the normal keyboard alternative, shift/ctrl-
arrow, along with space to toggle selected state of current entry.

[2] As I follow this list via gmane.org's list2news gateway using pan, my
current pan version including git commit hash can be found in the headers.