pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Gray threading background for one particular newsgroup.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Gray threading background for one particular newsgroup.
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 09:50:18 +0000 (UTC)

Christian Dysthe posted on Tue, 15 Jul 2014 23:19:08 -0500 as excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a strange problem with Pan built from git (GTK 2). One one
> particular news group the threading indication/indentation is gray. On
> all other newsgroups it's white. I have tried to unsubscribe to this one
> newsgroup and then add it again, but I get the same result.
>
> Here's a screen shot of the group that get gray background:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2vpfleqxs7y27t/Pan140-2.png
>
> Here'a a screen shot of how all other news groups look:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/w829sjrkudffmuj/Pan140-1.png
>
> Any idea why that one group get the gray background? Is this a setting
> somewhere that I am missing?

Heh, your color-scheme is /entirely/ different than mine.

This shot's a bit old (2013) but still representative.  Pan is on the
middle monitor.  Note that it's a triple full-HD monitor stacked desktop
for a full 1920x3240 px screenshot, full-size, so you'll probably need a
scaling viewer to see the full thing at once, then scale to 100% to see
it at full-size and scroll around, tho even "full size" won't do it
justice unless you're running 42-inch TVs as monitors as I am (for the
bottom two, anyway).

http://wstaw.org/m/2013/05/11/duncan-fullscreen.png

Tho I've switched pan's groups and body panes so groups is on the left
now, and I got new contacts and reduced the font sizes somewhat.

Anyway...

That is indeed a rather strange problem.  Given my dark-background color
prefs I've had my share of strange color issues on pan and elsewhere, but
I don't recall seeing anything like that, certainly not for one group
only.

Based on the above you are already building pan against gtk2, which would
be my first recommendation, since pan built against gtk3 mostly works,
but people do report strange issues with it reasonably frequently, that
go away when they build pan against gtk2, and the gtk3 port simply
doesn't get the testing or wide deployment of gtk2, so... But you're
already building against gtk2, so that can't be it.

Tho it wouldn't hurt verifying that.  Run ldd pan in a terminal window,
and check that it's not loading any gtk3 stuff.  As I don't even have gtk3
on my box, it can't load it here, but verifying that it's only doing gtk2
on a box with gtk3 can't hurt.  In particular, my libgtk and libgdk lines
look like this (gentoo ~amd64 box, hex numbers omitted):

libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0

FWIW, my gtk/gdk-pixbuf/cairo versions are as follows (the -r3 on cairo
is a gentoo-specific revision number indication):

gdk-pixbuf-2.30.8
gtk+-2.24.24
cairo-1.12.16-r3

The other possibility is that it's a color issue.  You don't happen to
have any scoring set that might apply to all articles in that group, do
you?  You can try fiddling with pan color prefs a bit, both for scores
and for "other text", and see if that affects it.  But I don't see how it
could for just that group, /unless/ it was related to a score you had set
that happens to affect everything in that group and little or nothing
else, but score colors normally only affect the score column, so that
shouldn't be it either.

The only really group-specific settings are visible in group
preferences.  There's color, which normally only affects the group pane
so shouldn't have any effect on the headers pane, and charset.

Charset!  That might actually be it!  Might there be some post in that
group with a strange charset used in either the subject or author
header?  Since the threading indention is in the subject column, that
would be the strongest candidate.  If there's some exotic charset used in
a subject header, it's just possible that gtk's processing of it triggers
a rendering bug that results in the off-color seen in whatever pan or gtk
is using for the header spacing.  If pan's using an exotic space
character as it's threading spacer, as it might be...  Admittedly that's
reaching a bit for an explanation, but it's the best one I can think of
that fits the evidence we have so far.

If the group was unaffected until a certain date, and now it's doing
this, you might check the posts around that date...

You can also try:

1) With pan not running, move pan's data dir elsewhere temporarily, and
restart pan with a clean config and no groups loaded.  Fill in your
server info and visit just that group.  Pan won't have a record for it so
will prompt to download headers.  Try getting just the last say two
headers, then tell it to get say 10, etc, until you can see at least one
threaded header.  Does it show up then?  If not, try getting a few days/
weeks worth of headers and see if it shows up.  Then try downloading
headers back as far as you had them in your normal config (assuming your
server has enough retention for that, of course).  Does it then show up?

The idea being to see if it's in a clean config, and if the headers of
some message trigger the problem.

2) Try the same thing, but start with a fresh full user config, either
configuring a new login user for the test, or temporarily moving your
entire user config to backup so it starts with an entirely clean user
config.

Of course the idea here is to see if it's something in your user config,
by starting with an entirely clean one.

That should give us some data on where the problem is, anyway.  If it's
happening with a clean user config, then it's something either at the
distro level or upstream.  If it's not happening there, but it's
happening with a clean pan config, then it's gotta be something in your
user config.  If it's not happening with a clean pan config on your
existing user, but starts happening when you download a bunch of headers
for that group, then it's gotta be something in those headers triggering
it, tho the problem's probably at the distro or upstream level.  If it's
not happening in a clean pan config and doesn't start happening when you
download all the headers that you had in the group before, then it's
gotta be something in the pan config, unless of course you couldn't get
all the headers you had before due to server retention policies for that
group, in which case it could still be something in the message headers.