pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Gray threading background for one particular newsgroup.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Gray threading background for one particular newsgroup.
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 16:34:18 +0000 (UTC)

Christian Dysthe posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:27:56 -0500 as excerpted:

> I have built successfully against gtk3 and Pan works except for one
> thing: When I scroll through a newsgroup suddenly the whole window
> resizes seemingly by opening certain messages. The window suddenly gets
> much wider. I have to reset it to preferred width, but it resizes again
> later when I hit one of those "trigger messages". I do not think I have
> the skills to determine why a certain message causes this resize

I'd guess it's one of two things, either (1) a charset issue like the
below, possibly due to multi-byte characters being considered multiple
single one-byte characters so it expands to accommodate the extra
horizontal space it thinks it'll need, or (2) an effect of the old 1000-
character-per-line (998 plus terminating CRLF sequence) limit, where
autowrapping is intended to deal with the displayed line length, but
which gtk3 might not account for, in which case it could try to expand
horizontally to accommodate display of 1000 characters wide messages.

I'm sure there's ways around either of those, but so far none of the
coders that have worked with pan since Charles lost interest have been
sufficiently interested in the gtk3 port side of things to worry about
fixing the various little bugs it seems to have, including that one.

Tho FWIW, I'm running a kde desktop with kwin as window manager here, and
kwin has what's called window rules that a user can setup to apply to
specific windows, that can be configured to force various properties,
window size and position included.  If I had a window misbehaving in that
manner, I'd simply set a window rule and let kwin enforce it.

In fact, I actually have a pan window rule that /does/ set pan window
size and position, tho it's set to "apply initially", not force.  If you
take a look at the screenshot link I posted, you'll see it in action, as
it forces an "almost-maximized" vertically window, maximized
horizontally, and positioned to the bottom of the monitor.  Thus the
narrow gap at the top of the window, just tall enough so the titlebar of
an underlying window can show above the pan window.  With focus-follows-
mouse and click-to-focus plus kwin configured transparency, that gives me
access to three windows, two half-width full height, one full-width
almost-full-height, at the same time, all in the same monitor.

Which is very convenient for a three-pan messages client like pan for
news or claws-mail for mail and feeds, since I can make the three-pane
main window the full-width almost-full-height window, with pan's reply
window being one of the half-width windows and either a browser or
terminal window for reference being the other half-width window.  The
transparency, focus-follows-mouse and click-to-focus then lets me type
into the pan reply window, while still being able to read both it and the
pan main window above it, along with the reference window (browser or
terminal) in the other half of the screen.

That's typically in the bottom monitor.  The top monitor is of course the
system performance and log readouts, which still leaves the middle
monitor entirely free.  I'll typically use it either for two additional
half-width reference windows, giving me access to three reference windows
plus the reply window and main pan window (and system performance monitor
and log readout on the top monitor, of course) at the same time, or for a
full-screen movie or minitube (youtube client) player.  Playing youtube
full-screen at 42-inches (and playing thru my 5.1 home audio system)
while still working in the three windows on another 42-inch monitor
below, all while still having the system performance monitors and logging
still uninterrupted visible on the smaller third monitor actually off to
the side, is a very nice computing experience indeed. =:^)

... OK, that got a bit off topic, but eh, I like it, and it does explain
why I have a pan window rule configured to set the pan main-window to
1920x1060, full-width, almost-full-height.  As I said I only have it set
to "apply initially", but if pan was misbehaving, I could set it to force
if i had to.

>> Charset!  That might actually be it!  Might there be some post in that
>> group with a strange charset used in either the subject or author
>> header?  Since the threading indention is in the subject column, that
>> would be the strongest candidate.

> And there it is! There was a post with on of those white vertical
> rectangles indicating a character that couldn't be rendered. I removed
> that post and restarted pan. Problem solved!

=:^)  Sometimes those 1/3 part each of intuition, experience, and shot-in-
the-dark, meandering guess replies, actually pay off. =:^)

Tho I did have some similar strange-character issue at one point in the
past, but it had other symptoms, IIRC the post cut-off in mid-sentence
immediately after the strange character, in that case a non-wrap-space
IIRC.  So the symptoms were different, but once I got to charsets I
remembered that problem, and decided it might be a similar charset bug,
just triggering different symptoms.  And so it was! =:^)

Anyway, glad the fix was that simple. =:^)