pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Starting Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Starting Pan
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 00:16:57 +0000 (UTC)

Dieter Britz posted on Mon, 14 Mar 2016 13:36:34 +0100 as excerpted:

> I have pan running on a laptop but have now also installed it
> on another PC. Both are running under Kubuntu 14.04 Linux.

> The new istallation seems to be there and I get the empty pan
> screen.OK, I edit my information, eternal-september.org, and my
> password. Nothing happens, I still can't get news groups.
> For example, I type in "comp" at the top, which should give me a
> long list of comp.... groups, but I don't.

> What else besides the source and my password do I have to provide
> before I can get going?

It has a very long time and many pan versions since I started with a
clean config, so I'm not exactly sure how it works, now, but...

It sounds like you need to download the list of available groups from the
server.  You may want to do this from time to time on the existing
installation as well, as most news servers frequently add and
occasionally remove groups, and this updates the local list of available
groups to match that of your server(s).

Groups menu, Refresh groups list.

Alternatively, if you prefer, you can simply copy either individual files
or the entire config dir (~/.pan2 by default) from your old installation
to your new one, and start off where you left off.  =:^)