pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] 3D in pdf - any plans?

From: Cirilo Bernardo
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] 3D in pdf - any plans?
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:30:55 +1100

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Michail Vidiassov <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>  did anyone take a look at the 3D features that appeared in pdf 1.6 and 1.7?
>  Is there any chance that they will be supported by gnupdf (in however
>  remote the future) or they are not accepted in principle (too
>  vendor-propriate, not inline with the original PDF intent, there are no 3D
>  people around, etc)?

Any patented parts cannot be part of gnupdf, unless of course the
patent owner writes a letter promising to allow the feature to be used
and distributed under the GPL3 etc. for now and in the future,
including the continued protection of that status even if he sold or
transferred the patent through any other means.  Otherwise we have to
wait until the patent lapses.  This, for example, was the problem with
the LZW compression used in earlier PDF specifications; the patents on
LZW have now lapsed so it can now be included.

 It is a peculiar situation since there are conflicting interests
which prevent the entire specification from being implemented for at
least a few more years.

- Cirilo