pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] 3D in pdf - any plans?

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] 3D in pdf - any plans?
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:14:52 +0100

   Of course in reality I'd expect something as complex as
   JPEG2000-core to be implemented in another library and libgnupdf
   will simply have to use or drop JPEG2000 support as appropriate.

That is what we are going to do. We are going to use external
libraries for JPEG2000, JBIG2 (people from artifex kindly changed the
license of their superb decodification library to allow us to use it)
and other formats.

   Now the other parts of the JPEG2000 specifications aren't even
   intended to be license and royalty-free.

We are being quite careful about these issues. We are consulting the
most licensing-knowledgeable FSF people when legal issues arises.

   I think it's an incredible nuisance; all software patents should
   simply be nullified; the computer industry doesn't have the time
   and money to waste on patent issues.

100% agreed

--
Jose E. Marchesi  <address@hidden>