pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Hello

From: Abhishek Mishra
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Hello
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:52:49 +0530

2008/12/27  <address@hidden>:

>   I have read the newcomers page. I have also looked at the tasks list.
>
>   I would like to work on the following 2 tasks:
>   1.  78       Stream Module   Planned Task    Medium          Document the
> filter
>   parameters in the reference manual
>       -> I hope this will help me gain some insight on how filters work,
>   and help me with the next task
>   2. 72        Stream Module   Planned Task    Medium          JPX Filters
> Implementation
>
>   does this make sense?
>
> Definitely :)
>
> For the task #78, we should decide what would be the better way to
> document the parameters required by the filters in the Reference
> Manual (doc/gnupdf.texi).
>
> Please take a look to the section "Filtered Streams" in the reference
> manual and to the
> http://gnupdf.org/Lib:Architecture/Base_Layer/Stream_Module webpage.
>
> In "Stream Types" we have the documentation of
> 'enum pdf_stm_filter_type_e', that describes the existing filters
> supported by the streams implementation. Some filters require
> parameters, while some dont.
>
> In my opinion we have several alternatives:
>
> a) To introduce a new subsection under "Filtered Streams" describing
>   each filter: what the filter does, what parameters are expected by
>   the filter, etc.
>
> b) To document the parameters required by each filter implementation
>   in the documentation of 'pdf_stm_install_filter'.
>
> I think that the option a) would be better but, what do you think?

I agree, considering the number of filters involved ..
and that we need to provide descriptions about each filter
.. one should write a separate sub-section.
And I assume, I should read the source code for each filter to get the
information about the parameters required.

Regarding the texinfo file, since this is the first time I would be
editing texinfo...I'd appreciate any pointers to help me get started.

Thanks & Regards,
-Abhishek