pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Hello

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Hello
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:41:11 +0100

   > In my opinion we have several alternatives:
   >
   > a) To introduce a new subsection under "Filtered Streams" describing
   >   each filter: what the filter does, what parameters are expected by
   >   the filter, etc.
   >
   > b) To document the parameters required by each filter implementation
   >   in the documentation of 'pdf_stm_install_filter'.
   >
   > I think that the option a) would be better but, what do you think?

   I agree, considering the number of filters involved ..
   and that we need to provide descriptions about each filter
   .. one should write a separate sub-section.

Ok.

   And I assume, I should read the source code for each filter to get the
   information about the parameters required.

You can also take a look to the ISO PDF and PDF 1.7 reference
documents: section 7.4 in ISO PDF. The parameters for the several
filters are described there. But beware that there is not a 1-1
relationship between the PDF filters and our stm filters: in some
cases (such as the crypt filters) we are using different
parameters. The ultimate documentation is the source code.

   Regarding the texinfo file, since this is the first time I would be
   editing texinfo...I'd appreciate any pointers to help me get started.

You can get the texinfo manual from
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/ Anyway, texinfo is
a really simple language and also quite intuitive, so looking at the
manual should give you enough information to start making changes.