pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] Chapt 5 - Heynow Create Files Exercise

From: Mark Schmid
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] Chapt 5 - Heynow Create Files Exercise
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:56:58 +0200

Hello Emmet,

Thanks!
Thank you Jacob and Jonathan for your personal
answers by email as well!
:-)

I understand quite well now that my program is
buggy and probably not catching the string terminating
0 (NUL) byte in the cmpl command.

Now I have my next problem:
To figure out what the registers are doing I'm giving
gdb the debugger another go and I'm having trouble
with that too:
I re-assembled my programm with:
as --gstabs heynow.s -o heynow.o

Then I re-linked it and started gdb like this:
gdb heynow.exe
(I call my executables .exe)

Now I can run heynow.exe in gdb, but I can't stop it.
When I type "run", it just runs through and quits normally.
According to the book you can set break points like this:
<gdb> break 1
This should set a break point a line 1, which it does.
I did this, but when I type "run" after that, it just
runs right through again. It simply does NOT consider
any breakpoint I set, no matter where!
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Greetings,
Mark

PS: For others reading the book, perhaps it would
be better to reply to the list instead of to the
original poster of a message so the answers are
archived. - Or is that too much mail-flood for
all the people currently on the list?