pgubook-readers

Re: [Pgubook-readers] Chapt 5 - Heynow Create Files Exercise

From: Emmet Ford
Subject: Re: [Pgubook-readers] Chapt 5 - Heynow Create Files Exercise
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:15:34 -0400

My experience (which is not particularly current) is that gdb fails to execute a break point placed on the very first instruction of a program. A breakpoint placed elsewhere should fare better.

--Emmet Ford

Mark Schmid wrote:
Hello Emmet,

Thanks!
Thank you Jacob and Jonathan for your personal
answers by email as well!
:-)

I understand quite well now that my program is
buggy and probably not catching the string terminating
0 (NUL) byte in the cmpl command.

Now I have my next problem:
To figure out what the registers are doing I'm giving
gdb the debugger another go and I'm having trouble
with that too:
I re-assembled my programm with:
as --gstabs heynow.s -o heynow.o

Then I re-linked it and started gdb like this:
gdb heynow.exe
(I call my executables .exe)

Now I can run heynow.exe in gdb, but I can't stop it.
When I type "run", it just runs through and quits normally.
According to the book you can set break points like this:
<gdb> break 1
This should set a break point a line 1, which it does.
I did this, but when I type "run" after that, it just
runs right through again. It simply does NOT consider
any breakpoint I set, no matter where!
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Greetings,
Mark

PS: For others reading the book, perhaps it would
be better to reply to the list instead of to the
original poster of a message so the answers are
archived. - Or is that too much mail-flood for
all the people currently on the list?

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above, and may be
legally privileged.  You are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication and any of its contents or
attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message and please delete this message from all computers and servers.