Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Donations (was: New features in Mail app)

From: Jason Wies
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Donations (was: New features in Mail app)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:04:49 -0500

I think this is a very good idea.  phpGroupWare obviously has a huge user base,
including quite a bit of corporate users.  I tend to think a lot of donations
would come through this, simply through having it be available (and linked to
after downloading, after receiving an answer in the forums, bug tracker, etc).
I also think the payee should have the option of "fine-graining" where their
money goes.  Ie (numbers aren't important):

(1) General thank-you
(2) Future development
(3-70) Thank-you for <appname>
(71-140) Future development for <appname>
(140-220) Thank-you to <developer>
(220-300) Future development for <developer>

(1), (2), (71-140), and (220-300) would all be put in the general community
pot, most likely managed by a controlling company (Clear River Tech?  I'm not
exactly sure how that relationship works).  (3-70) would go directly to the
programmer(s) responsible for the application, and obviously (140-220) would go
directly to the developer.  A lot of users have had good experiences with a
particular app or helpful developer and might donate that way.

I'm actually more hopeful that they would donate under the Future development
categories, in which case the controlling company would be able to pay willing
developers to work on specific projects, and would generally speed up
developement.  I don't think the non-core developers should demand direct
payments for those things either; a controlling company would be able to ensure
the money is distibuted as it should be, and that it actually benefits
phpGroupWare in the end.  Of course anything that might take money away from
the core developers would be bad in my opinion; we need leaders (both in
management and code), and I wouldn't think of diverting funds from them (again
a bit ignorant of how exactly that works).

Just my (quick) thoughts.

Jason Wies aka Zone