Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] New features in Mail app

From: Lars Kneschke
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] New features in Mail app
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:11:32 +0100 (MET)

> address@hidden schrieb:
>
> Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) (address@hidden) wrote*:
>>
>>Inbox filters!!
>>I will paypal or send you a personal check for $50 if you stop
>>procrastinating on this and start getting some code in.
>>I know $50 isnt much... but thats the offer.
>>
>>Seek3r
>
> LOL, I'll be bored off my A** this weekend, as people are out of town,
> I'll suspend work on the IMAP socket class and try to pump out some
> inbox filtering code instead. work on the IMAP socket class and try to
> pump out some inbox filtering code instead.
> $50, that buys alot of Diet Coke :)
>
> Will someone post to this list their concept of how this "filtering"
> should work, so I at least have a target functionality to shoot for
> before I start writting any code. Note that this will provide me with
> some insight from people who actually know what they want in this
> capacity. I know what I want, but _unfortunately_ I do not know
> everything :)

Don't know if i'm the right person, but .... :)

i could write down the ideas i had so far.

Write the rules in the database. (You will do it anyway! :)) This would
allow  us/me to use this informations also for creating filter files on the
server. With cyrus you have sieve, which allows you to create filter scripts
on the server side. There is also phpsieve available, which allows you to
install the new filter files from remote on the imap server.
And with qmail you have maildrop(like procmail), wich allows you to sort the
messages already on the server side.And we can write filter rules for
"email"/Squirrelmail which do the sorting when you open the folder.

>From the gui i would display the headers of the email, with select boxes
behind, so you select which header must be present to filter this mail.

This are my idea's i had so far. Don't know if they are usefull, but maybe
it's some input.

Cu