RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook - addbook

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] addressbook - addbook
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:25:12 -0400

I definitely need a system to build on that separates the company from the
individual.  It is a requirement for accounting and project management type
modules.

Not being a real programmer (just a hobby), my approach sometimes bypassess
good programming techniques - so I don't think I'm suitable for maintaining
a module

A few thoughts about addressbook taking on addbook functionality (and
addbook in general)
1. separating the company from the individual adds a whole new level of
complexity - perhaps it would be better to deveop addbook as a separate
module and then have it replace the addressbook instead of trying to merge
the two
2. the UI of addbook should be reviewed for opportunities to make it easier
to use (ie separate tables for company and individual does not necessary
dictate the use of separate input forms and listings)
3. a method to ease other modules using addbook as a base contact system
should be created (mainly that the addbook module should check for records
from other modules that reference the addbook records before allowing them
to be deleted - a method was discussed on this list a month or two ago - I
can supply a date if needed)
4. the addbook contact categories should use a table with pointers to the
categories tables instead of a comma separated list - it will greatly ease
SQL queries for filtering data by category
5. I think a one to n relationship is practical and will ease things a bit
(ie a person only belongs to one company but a company can have many
people).  Don't forget to allow for people that don't belong to any company