Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpWebHosting (DAV)

From: Jonathon Sim
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpWebHosting (DAV)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:26:54 +1300

On Saturday 23 Nov 2002 4:29 am, Bob Crandell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There doesn't need to be anything stored in the database except maybe
> user's permissions.  It's just a directory with files and other
> directories.  That directory could also be a Samba share.  A user in the
> office copies a file to that directory using Windoze Exploder.  A person
> outside the office copies that file using phpWebHosting and maybe that
> person has a file they want to contribute so he/she copies it in using
> phpWebHosting.  The person in the office can then open that file with
> Wordperfect, directly, without having to copy it out.  Kind of like
> document management in Groupwise, simplified.
> The security would come from what phpWebHosting imposes and from where the
> directory is. DAV could talk to it too.

Sure.  At the moment phpGroupware stores files in a directory in the
file-system, so you could simply share that.  There is a lot of stuff stored
in the DB (in the current implementation) eg Metadata, locking, journalling.
Clients accessing the repository outside of groupware wont be able to see
this stuff.  And I'm not entirely sure how it would deal with people creating
files outside of groupware.

The point of implementing it on DAV is that DAV could be used for things like
locking (and later, versioning).  Then all clients accessing the repository
would be able to "see" that a file was locked (and so on).