[Phpgroupware-developers] probusiness project - general overview

From: Kai Hofmann
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] probusiness project - general overview
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:54:06 +0200

In the following text I will describe our project todos/plans as
we discussed them on our kickoff meeting.
This is only an information to let you know what we are planning.
More detailed concepts will follow later!

1. Usability
The usability for customers who want to migrate should be simple
and in an M$ Outlook style.

2. Database
We would like to make phpGroupware work on an enterprise database system.
The SAP-DB (http://www.sapdb.org/) is the one of our choice, because its
a free OpenSource database on which enterprise applications are running.
The best way to do this is using the php pear framework we think.
Also we are interesting in transfering the phpGroupware database model into
a real relational one so that the different modules could better interact
with each other.

3. LDAP
Related to LDAP we are interested in improving the interaction of the
courier with phpgw. Another point is integrating the LDAP usage for
account information and the addressbook. Here it should be possible to
create/edit email accounts via LDAP.
Adding our pb.WebMAUI as a phpGroupware module is another step on our list
to improve administration.

4. Module interaction/integration
>From our point it would be nice to integrate the "company directory" module
with the addressbook. The same goes for the resource booking module which
should be integrated with the calendar module. Last but not least we would
like
to join the time track module with the project module.

4.1. Project and Time Track
For those modules we have the following todos on our list:
- project runtime
- already processed time vs. time left
- deadlines and milestones
- statistics with charts
- different views for a project - like costs per person via costs per task
- generating activity reports
- generating bills
- assigning times to projects within time track

4.2. Document management
Document management is of general interest to commercial users. So we need
to find a solution that fits many needs. We have still to specify more on
this point. Until now there are things on our list like multi-file
up-/download
maybe in a shopping cart style including zip support.

5. Search technology
Another point is an advanced search technology to search emails, documents
of different
types etc. with an external program via a defined api in the phpGroupware.
Considering access control structures for single users and groups would be
important.
It looks to us that it might be suggestive that the search engine works
together with the
pda-sync interface.
Last but not least we think integration of the search module should work
based on the
InfoLog technology.
Please note the advanced search technology will be a commercial third party
add
on product because of the mind-map engine that works behind it.

6. Linking Objects
It should be possible to link objects with each other
like in M$ outlook. The following is a list of some possible
object linkings:

- contact to appointment
- contact to email
- email to kontakt
- email to appointment
- note to kontakt
- file to kontakt
- file to appointment

7. Offline functionality
Offline functionality is extremly useful for notebook users on a business
trip etc.
Our idea of a solution to this problem is a slim local phpGroupware
installation bundled
within one installation package (windows installer, RPM).
For the synchronisation the phpGWServerSync (which is similar to the
pda-Sync in some parts)
should be used.

8. PDA Synchronisation
We are interesting to contribute to the actual work. Especially we are
searching for
solutions besinde PALM. In the commercial area it would be nice to
synchronize with
Windows CE, Psion (EPOC) (possible with www.symbian.com), The famous Sharp
Zaurus
(www.zaurus.com) as well as SyncML devices.

9. Data migration
Last but not least we are interested in migrating data from existing systems
like an
exchange server. We know about the HAMOA solution and will give it a try as
soon as possible.

Greetings

   Kai Hofmann

--
*****    Open Source und Linux im professionellen Einsatz    *****
**  komplexe Mailserver, Groupware, Office: sprechen Sie uns an **