RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Database reengineering completed

From: Kai Hofmann
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Database reengineering completed
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:11:28 +0200

> > The bugs I have found here will be send first to the core team!
>
> Why not log them as bug reports on savannah like other users?

Because its a long list that should first be discussed by the core team.
The bugs are in the code as well as in the concepts - some bugs you can
directly see within the
schema diagram for example phpgw_inv_products - the con and id column usage
in relation with other tables ...
But the list is much longer ....

> There are many relations which are not used within SQL - as
> they may be
> relations with ldap or imap etc ...

I know that - but also these relations could be solved via the database -
for example by storing unique message ids etc.

> It looks like you spent a lot of time on this, but some of it would
> appear to be wasted.  You have documented unsupported apps or
> apps which
> are currently under review or active development.

I know this to - but such a documentation may help new developers to
continue undone work.
Also such a documentation is a very dynamic thing - so it has to be updated
when changes appear.
Would be nice when developers would inform me when they change their
database layer - so that I could
update their parts!

When apps are unsupported because they are no longer needed/wanted - then I
think the coreteam should remove them from the HEAD.

> For example a quick look at the skel app would reveal that the it is a
> skeleton app ... which is never designed to be run ... but in fact
> designed to give potential developers some idea of the structure of a
> phpgw app.

I know this too ;-) But the skel app installs a table in the DB - and it
only costs me 5 Minutes to put it into the diagramm.
Finding out the relations is a much harder job!

> More examples:
> * cdb - it has never been completed ... and is unlikely to ever be.

so remove it from the head - or find someone who will complete it maybe with
the help of the documentation I produced ;-)

> * phpbrain - it will change in the next day or 2

please let me know and I will update the docs ;-)

> As for the code references:
> * app/inc/class.*so*.inc.php
>   - most of these should reference the db ... as they are

> storage objects
> * setup/tables_*.inc.php
>   - these are schema files so I hope they include references to tables

So they have to be there to have a complete documentation ;-)

> * 2.181 Table phpgw_lang
>   If tables_*.inc.php is listed as referencing tables then every
> app/setup/phpgw_*.lang file should also get a mention imho

Thats wrong, because the content of *.lang files is data that will be filled
into the database by some other
*.php code file - only the code referenced are of interest - because these
have to be changed when you rename
a table etc. ;-) The *.lang files are independend of the databases table or
column names!

> If nothing else we know where a change to an api table requires code
> changes ... but grep would have done that too.

I have done much work by using grep ;-) But I found that this will NOT work
everywhere!

Greetings

   Kai

--
*****    Open Source und Linux im professionellen Einsatz    *****
**  komplexe Mailserver, Groupware, Office: sprechen Sie uns an **