Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] categories, ACL and VFS

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] categories, ACL and VFS
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:05:27 +0200 (MEST)

> I forgot another point: I think a new model for categories/folders
> should include defining ACL. Adminstrators and users should be able to
> define for whom objects in a folder are visible and editable. Thus
> applications could make use of folder-level ACL without any extra
> work.

I think we are really just talking about enhancing categories, not folders.
I think category based ACLs would be good, but then you also have the issue
of "global global categories".  Say I have a global global category called
Clients, which is used in addressbook, calendar and sitemgr.  In this case I
may require seperate ACL for each app, this is something that would need to be
factored in.  I am not saying this is a bad idea, just the implications need
to be thought through.  I think the ACL2 system which seek3r started on could
be useful for such a system - to allow inheritted rights and masks.

> And another idea: I think the VFS should make use of such a folder
> system too! Thus users would not have a separate filemanager, but they
> could create their files in the same place they put their addresses,
> appointments, webpages, etc.

I think this is more an issue of a view of the data.  There could be an app
developed which dynamically pulls together a nice view for all this data.
Each app could have a (set of) hook(s) for the "folder view app", this would
remove the need for forced dependencies while still offering a flexible view of
data the user has access to.  Maybe this could be done through infolog or
some new app.