Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] integration of admin-addressbook-calendar-

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] integration of admin-addressbook-calendar-HR
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:01:16 +0000

Michael Dean (address@hidden) wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 23:56, Brian Johnson wrote:
>> I took a look at: http://www.gnue.org/~dneighbo/fsf/datadictionary.html
>> and couldn't understand how a company gets referenced to a person
>
>dcl_account_contact - many-to-many relationship

It looks like dcl_account_contact links the dcl_account and dcl_contact tables.
Does that mean that dcl_account is for company names and not system accounts?

>> Also, although I like the fact that you allow muliple emails, phones, etc per

>> person, wouldn't it be cleaner to combine those tables and have only one
>> "type"
>> table and one table for those values?
>
>Again - larger installations over time will benefit from not throwing
>everything into one table.

My concern is that we may overlook methods of communication that may not even
currently be available, after all I didn't have an email address 10 years ago
and
didn't even have a IM account until a year ago.  Therefore it is difficult to
categorize those methods and it would be best if the db structure didn't require
modification for those occasions.

Perhaps additional though is needed to even cover the methods currently
available.
Here is what I see in your schema:
dcl_account_addr ()
dcl_account_email
dcl_account_note
dcl_account_phone
dcl_account_url

Could we add a dcl_account_other (and type table) for anything that we may have
missed (for instance instant messaging accounts).  This would also provide
instant
expandability for future, unforseen needs

As a general note, I wondered about adding a description field (maybe
varchar20) for
each of the above for a quick reminder note as a user's aid.  ie my brother has
an
email address that shows the message on his beeper .. I always have trouble
remembering which of his five email addresses it is since I only send something
it about once a year.  A little "beeper" note beside the correct email address
would
be a helpful reminder.  Or a "cottage" beside someone's phone number but I guess
entries in the "type" tables would be a suitable use for these items.

>> Lastly, is it necessary to have creation & modification time stamps for
>> every bit of
>> data?
>
>Yup - it acts as an extra piece of audit information and can be used for
>distributing the data (for example, to handhelds via sync).
>
>Mike

I noticed you have project data in the schema as well, do you mind review and
comment on those tables too?

I wondered about modifying timetrack to use the same table structure within the
phpgw db but I think dcl (and phpgw project) uses a different approach to
entering
time than timetrack.  For instance, will it screw up dcl if time is entered
without
being assigned to a workorder? ie just enter start and stop times (for a date)
and a
text description (for that time) assigned to a project

--
Brian Johnson
* This is where my witty signature line would be if I bothered to edit this