Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] integration of admin-addressbook-calendar-

From: Jonathan Rivera
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] integration of admin-addressbook-calendar-HR
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:47:40 -0500 (CDT)

Brian Johnson said:
> Michael Dean (address@hidden) wrote:
>>
>>On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 23:56, Brian Johnson wrote:
>>> I took a look at:
>>> http://www.gnue.org/~dneighbo/fsf/datadictionary.html and couldn't
>>> understand how a company gets referenced to a person
>>
>>dcl_account_contact - many-to-many relationship
>>

> It looks like dcl_account_contact links the dcl_account and dcl_contact
> tables. Does that mean that dcl_account is for company names and not
> system accounts?

yes, also I am confused with that :P

>>> Also, although I like the fact that you allow muliple emails, phones,
>>> etc per
>
>>> person, wouldn't it be cleaner to combine those tables and have only
>>> one "type" table and one table for those values?
>>
>>Again - larger installations over time will benefit from not throwing
>> everything into one table.
>>

> My concern is that we may overlook methods of communication that may not
> even currently be available, after all I didn't have an email address 10
> years ago and didn't even have a IM account until a year ago.  Therefore
> it is difficult to categorize those methods and it would be best if the
> db structure didn't require modification for those occasions.
>
> Perhaps additional though is needed to even cover the methods currently
> available. Here is what I see in your schema:
> dcl_account_addr ()
> dcl_account_email
> dcl_account_note
> dcl_account_phone
> dcl_account_url
>
> Could we add a dcl_account_other (and type table) for anything that we
> may have missed (for instance instant messaging accounts).  This would
> also provide instant expandability for future, unforseen needs
>
> As a general note, I wondered about adding a description field (maybe
> varchar20) for each of the above for a quick reminder note as a user's
> aid.  ie my brother has an email address that shows the message on his
> beeper .. I always have trouble remembering which of his five email
> addresses it is since I only send something to it about once a year.  A
> little "beeper" note beside the correct email address would be a helpful
> reminder.  Or a "cottage" beside someone's phone number but I guess
> entries in the "type" tables would be a suitable use for these items.

i like the idea of add dcl_account_other table, i think this table can be
something as:

id     => the id of one person or organization
type   => said if is a person or organization
field  => name of field, for example "phone_home, phone_office, mail_home,
etc"
value  => the value of this field

what do you think about?? can this help??