RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and php Do

From: Lars Kneschke(priv.)
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and php Documentor
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:54:18 +0000

Christian Böttger <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> What they told us on the CEBIT:
>> We can be happy, that a company like probusiness make a commercial
>> solution and professional support for phpgw.
>
>Commercial companies must produce money to exist, mustn't they?

Christian, it is 100% ok that company needs to earn money. And i think any
one  here is happy to see more people contribute code to phpgroupware.

But....

I think, you(as company) are doing it the wrong way.

You don't communicate and integrate into the developer community.

We all(the developers) have a roadmap in your mind, which is build from
discussions in irc or by email. We have not documented it 100%, because we
all know, what the other developers want to have.

Now you joined the game, but what did you contribute so far?

You told us that our database model is bad. And i have the feeling, that you
don't understand, why we did it this way. The database model may really not
be perfect, but the way you told us, was not very nice.

You put much work in version 0.9.14. 0.9.14 is dead after the next release.
The changes between 0.9.14 and 0.9.16 are very big. This makes no sense for
me.

You contributed a very impressive database picture. It may be much work, but
for me it is totaly useless. It is not important for me. Just my personal
opinion!!!

Kai did put much work into research of the code, to understand what's going
on. Looks very professional. But we as the project have other problems:

- addressbook/accounts integration
- security review
- documantation

This would be topics which could give you really good credit.

About our CeBIT meeting.
I would like to see, that you "outsource" some parts of your work to other
developers. You told us that this was not possible, because you can only
engage people from lower saxony(a country of germany). No problem, that's
the way it works. But nobody of the german developers is living in lower
saxony.... ;)

Just some ideas from my tired brain.....

We don't need your work. And if phpgw fails, we can go home and watching tv.
Because the other day earn our living again.
But i think, you save much money, when you can use our work as your
codebase. If you like to split of, and want to create your own project, you
are free to do this. But i don't think that this is a cost-effective
solution.

What i miss from your side, is some feeling how opensource is working. This
is the real problem between you(i mean always the company) and the people
which have a problem with you.

I don't want you to split of, because i'm happy about any contributor.

Please, be aware that english is not my native language. I hope i did not
offend any one.

Cu
--
written with FeLaMiMail