Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and php Do

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and php Documentor
Date: 30 Jun 2003 17:24:58 -0500

(I know i shouldnt be writing this)

Okay guys, where did this switch from being a documenting system
proposal to an actual political debate about companies and F/OSS?

Lets Keep It Simple:

1.- Here probiz shows they want to contribute because if they didnt they
wouldve just forked and thats that (VERY BAD IDEA PROBIZ!)

2.- Here, probiz shows they have little experience in FOSS development.
I can relate, ive been there.

3.- Here the community shows that it has channels to receive
communication, code, ideas, and they are not well advertised enough for
a new member in the community (if we want probiz to be called that) to
understand that nettiquete, discussion and respect  comes first than
great ideas.

Now, Dear Probiz crowd. What, you dont think we see we need a new doc
system? Its been discussed in enough trails and trends of email to wrap
my fat ass in. We also see that the idea of a general abstract view for
all objects in the system is COOL. See, noone attacks the ideas, its the
way of approaching what is putting your own project's hability to
survive  in the long run.

I say that you put yourselves in jeopardy because if you keep going this
way, youre gonna end up thinking that a private fork is a good idea but,
in time, that will cost exactly the same as building from scratch and
mantaining your private software. Do the math, your grant would last you
about three months after you put it in with enough clients and have to
support and mantain by yourself. You should really take a  decission:
either you form part of the community or you take this risk i just
described.

Now, to form part of the community, you have to work with it, not along
side it, not infront of it, WITH IT. If you have lots of experience, you
need to share it, if you have great ideas, you need to put them out
here, code an alpha, show us how cool it is, come up with cool ways to
MAKE IT HAPPEN (youve allways failed to say HOW are you going to
accomplish your ideas). You can take for granted that if its cool
enough, and you help and incorporate as a member of the community, thats
when youll be able to foster and benefit from the potential of OSS
development.

I wanted to say this, and i know it may not be welcome amongst all since
its a strictly business view of things, and it may look like i, myself,
need to follow some of this ideas, but i really think its the only way
to conciliate business as persons (moral persons, we -ironically- call
them in Mexico) with OSS projects and the people that make them.