Re: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and ph

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and php Documentor
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:16:15 +1000

Brian Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't have a problem (and I don't think many other do) with the
> concept of tying
> phpgw in with business goals including making money.

Neither do I - I just wish I was better at it.  I do have issues with
people who expect a lot, make a lot of money and give nothing back to
the community.  We have several businesses which we have formed a great
working relationship with ... 3 that spring to mind are
http://www.sogrp.com/ http://www.vater-gmbh.de/ and
http://www.zeald.com/ (listed alphabetically so not to offend anyone)

> What I think has set the current tone is two things:
>
> 1. that probiz has proposed features for phpgw that are already
> implemented

Yes, which I think demostrated a lack of understanding of the project.

> 2. that probiz has been proposing changes to phpgw that go in a
> direction other than
> what has already been discussed and is available for reading on
> the wiki

I agree with this also.

> >From the wording and content in initial emails from probiz
> representatives seemed to
> indicate that they hadn't taken the time to find out even basic
> information about
> phpgw to justify serious consideration of their proposals.  Also,
> some of those
> proposals were leading to major and sweeping changes to the code
> and db structure of
> phpgw with minimal commentary to justify their need and minimal
> proposal concerning
> who would actually implement and maintain the modified code (as a
> side note, there
> is a general mistrust in this community for reliance on one
> unknown commercial
> entity for future maintenance and cooperation)

agreed

> I and others that I have seen on the mailing list, think that SOME
> of the ideas
> coming from probiz are quite good.

I think some of them have potential, but atm I find myself noticing the
flaws not the good points of their proposal - which stems from historic
problems - which I hope we can move away from.

> I don't pretend to have all of the answers,

Neither do I - I wish I did ;)

> but perhaps your
> developers could
> request the input from other developers with a slightly different
> approach.  Perhaps
> provide more justification for the need for some of the features
> possibly including
> providing a larger view of what your goals are and don't try to
> rush everybody into
> major changes.  Also, a polite request for input on how a goal is
> achieved would be
> appreciated, especially when followed up by evidence of work going
> in that direction.

Yes, this would be a good start.  I am yet to see any evidence of probiz
taking on board any feedback.  I hope this will change.  Also their tone
(especially Kai's) has not done them any favours.  I understand that
English is not their first language, but refering to anything as evil
would get most people's back's up.

> I think some of this is what your developers are trying to do but
> somehow it doesn't
> read that way.
>
> Although discussed before, IRC access for your developers does
> provide a way to
> often discuss items in a faster dialog than the mailing list (and
> then use the
> mailing list to invite other people's involvement once the concept
> is a little more
> detailed)

I won't hold probiz's non use of irc against them - but I think there
are some benefits of it as a collabrative development tool.

> Of course, you can take this commentary and do whatever you wish
> with it, but it was
> intended as a third party observation of conversations that have
> taken place on the
> mailing list in the hopes of smoothing over any conflict that may
> be festering.

I hope to resolve these issues too.  I really don't enjoy bashing my
head against the wall.