Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] synchronization support for phpGW: milesto

From: Markus Kaemmerer
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] synchronization support for phpGW: milestone 1
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:13:45 +0100

Hi,

>Well I'm happy to say that I too reached the milestone 1, but with a fully php
>solution.

we had milestone 2 some time ago and working on milestone 3 now :).

>- how do you make db updates through XML-RPC ? For example, putting last/next
>anchors, registering temp informations on current syncs, etc ... ?

We only use the new IPC interface, which is already included in
0.9.16. See the documentation in all classes with "ipc" in the
filename.

>- do you have functions to handle phpGW data in vcard/vcal formats ?

yes, phpGW has some of these classes included. They where called
trough the IPC interface with the corresponding mime-typ.

>- do you have functions to compare data sent by the client with data in phpGW
>db to
>know which records are to update / delete / replace / send ? Or are there
>already
>functions like that in the phpGW code ? (I did not check yet)

We use our own mapping for GUID/LUID in sync classes and IPC function
getItems with a timestamp of the last check date. Every phpGW module
which want to be able to be synchronized has to include the IPC
functionallity. We added this for the most common modules already.

>BTW, what is you SyncML test device ? Phone or software ?

Our main tests are done using a Sony Ericsson P800. In addition we are
working with misc Conduits/Clients, e.g. from www.nexthaus.com and
www.synthesis.ch. For interoperabilty tests we have also an PalmOS and
one PocketPC device. We plan to do a more tests in last week of
february with more devices.

I've checked in our last version in the HEAD branch on savannah. Our
source code is fully documented with phpDocumentor. Also the
documentation on
http://www.probusiness.de/projekte/phpgroupware/sync.html is updated.

Maybe we should work together. We have an clear and documented
interface to a SyncML server. If you are writing such thing, you
should use this interface to our sync engine and thus replace the need
of Sync4j in this version. Every thing like getting the data from
phpGW modules, mapping, conflict handling ... will be done in your
sync classes.

Markus