[Phpgroupware-developers] Re: utf-8 vs iso-8859-1

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: utf-8 vs iso-8859-1
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:03:12 +1100

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 09:08 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> I'm reposting this off the list...

No problem, I have CC'd my response there.  The lag is frustrating.

> Sigurd

There are several reasons for the switch to utf-8.  The main one is that
from db to the user interface we can know that we are always dealing
with utf-8.  We can then remove things like lang('chartset').

Unicode also means we can have multi lingual installs.  For example if a
company has operations across Europe they can not use a single phpgw
install, as we currently use at least 3 different charsets for
translations.  I would also like to hardcode urf-8 into stuff instead of
having to keep track of charsets which potentially causes problems.  It
is also easier if everyone knows to use utf-8 compliant tools.

I haven't used M$ Access since O2k days, but I know that OO.o2 Base
allows you to specify the charset for the database connection.  Maybe M$
Access has the same option tucked away somewhere

What are the problems you have?  I am happy to see if we can find a way
of fixing the problems instead of switching back to encoding soup :)