Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phplib template class in HEAD

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phplib template class in HEAD
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:25:44 +1000

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 08:12 -0500, Chris Weiss wrote:
> hm.  i'm torn on some of this.
>
> on restricting the regex:
> on one side, restricting the "key" characters so that you have to use
> a "key phrase" instead of a "default translation" like we have now can
> make translating easier since unknowns will stand out more strongly
> (not just and * but also not a proper sentance).
>
> on the other, having a "default translation" as the key can make
> development a lot simpler since you'll have a usable site whether or
> not you have bother to enter the primary language.

The default translations would also be translated.  I see little or no
need to include "?" as a template variable

> on changing our "style":
> what are the drawbacks of allowing any character in the key?  does it
> make the translations notably slower?

The regex is more complex so it takes longer (I haven't done a speed
comparison as yet).  It means we will again be maintaining a hacked up
version of the class.

> And, could we submit a patch upstream to make it so a developer can
> choose a limited regex like the new one or a more complex one like
> ours?  it seems like, short term anyway, this would be a lot easier to
> do, and we can worry about our "style" after 1.0 when i'm hoping a lot
> of the UI will be changed anyway.

I hope things change for 1.0, but rewriting admin and setup won't happen
for 18, so I don't know if it will happen for 1.0.  This is the phpdocs
for the variable which controls the regex

/**
 * Determines the regular expression used to find unknown variable tags.
 * "loose"  = traditional match all curly braces with no whitespace between
 * "strict" = adopts PHP's variable naming rules
 *              ("loose" has a nasty habit of deleting JavaScript RegEx
components)
 *              (should future major version releases of PHPLib default this
"strict"?)
 *
 * @var       string
 * @access    public
 */
 var $unknown_regexp = "strict";

> On 10/14/06, Dave Hall <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Some time ago I synced the template class in HEAD with the upstream
> > version, something which hadn't been done for a very long time.
> >
> > I have been aware of a major down side of this change, that being it
> > breaks some templates.  The regex matching of the new template class is
> > stricter than the hacked up version we have used in <= 0.9.16.  I have
> > not had time to look into fixing as yet.
> >
> > The main thing which is broken is setup and admin where we use more than
> > 0-9a-Z_ (and a few other characters) as the template variables.  I
> > personally would like to took at simplify the text used in admin and
> > setup to make it clearer for users and so possibly reduce the need for
> > additional characters.  What do you think?  Also are you willing to get
> > your hands dirty to help with the fixes?
> >
> > I also hope to move our remaining hacks out of the class so we have
> > phpgwapi/inc/class.Template.inc.php which extends
> > phpgwapi/inc/phplib/class.Template.inc.php  This change should make
> > syncing with upstream easier.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Dave
> > --
> > Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
> > API Coordinator
> > phpGroupWare
> > e address@hidden
> > w phpgroupware.org
> > j address@hidden
> > sip address@hidden
> >        _            ____                    __        __
> >  _ __ | |__  _ __  / ___|_ __ ___  _   _ _ _\ \      / /_ _ _ __ ___
> > | '_ \| '_ \| '_ \| |  _| '__/ _ \| | | | '_ \ \ /\ / / _` | '__/ _ \
> > | |_) | | | | |_) | |_| | | | (_) | |_| | |_) \ V  V / (_| | | |  __/
> > | .__/|_| |_| .__/ \____|_|  \___/ \__,_| .__/ \_/\_/ \__,_|_|  \___|
> > |_|         |_|                         |_|Web based collaboration platform

LLLLL
L*LLL
LLLLL
LLLLL DAVE