[phpGroupWare-developers] Sad thing

From: Klaus Lepschi
Subject: [phpGroupWare-developers] Sad thing
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:45:46 -0700 (MST)

First things first:
I'm aware of phpgroupware for quite some time now, and I cannot emphasize
enough how much I appreciate and honor the hard work and the efforts of the
project crew that has gone into phpGroupWare so far.

Still, what is going on with that project lately?

"You can grab the new version from our download section."
Yet the "download section" (http://download.phpgroupware.org/) is down, and
only yields a "Server not found"-page.

Mirrors:
Dead, apart from Japan and sourceforge.

Demos:
In search for a suitable groupware-solution for a client of ours, I came across
the phpGroupWare-site again. As per today, there is effectively no demo site
online anymore.

Docs:
When you try to browse the doc-section, there is nothing but void.

Apps:
see "Docs"

Support:
see above .. To be fair: there is a link to "phpgroupware.info", a site that
describes how phpGroupWare _should_ operate.

I have done some 10 installs on the weekend, and as per usual this goes
breezingly easy. But what comes then is simply a shame. "Projects" cannot be
created as there are no "activities", and when you try to read up how you
create "activities", guess what application comes without docs?

I don't want to bash anybody, and once again, being a programmer for decades
myself, I truly honor all the work, but even if it's OpenSource, and "free to
take", shouldn't there be at least _some_ quality-criteria be met?

1: Archive content
It's not really the sweetest thing to add some 850 CVS-folders to the
distributed version of your system.

2: Applications
Why pack apps like "img" with the standard-version, and yet inform the user
that these apps are outdated (btw. the suggested "FUNKWERK" does maybe
anything, but not install via the "Setup"-module)

3: quality of code
What good is the respectable approach of templates when in key-apps like the
calendar functions like "css()" are being called to write style-information?

Anyway, I understand that in a large project like phpGroupWare things can get
hairy sometimes, but the current status of website , code and the system in
general indicates that something's beyond being hairy, and pretty much going
awry already.

I really hope the project team can inject some stringent quality aspects again
before more ppl divert to e-groupware.

Sincerely

.

Sent from the phpGroupWare forums @ forums.phpGroupWare.org