Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Summer of Code discussion

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Summer of Code discussion
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:48:50 +1100

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 07:39 -0700, Chris Weiss wrote:

> there's a lot of great things there, can we make polls for them and
> get a rough idea on what users/admins want more?

I thought about that, but it doesn't really work for SoC, maybe as a
general wish list it could - lets see after we get the SoC applications
in.

> If I understand SoC right, we can't just say "this is what you work
> on" (or can we?) but instead say "these are things that need done, or
> suggest something useful" and let them pick what to do.  Of course,
> they can do more than one thing as well, such as a setup redo which is
> relatively easy and then work on the todo+notes which is also not that
> hard, and if time is left, work on something else as well.

We post suggestions, but the students are free to propose whatever they
want to work on.  We then get a list of applications and a number of
slots.  We choose who we want based on their skills and proposal.

Once I get the list, I will talk to the mentors, make sure they are
happy with taking a student on for a task.  As our mentors make up the
major of our active coordinators, I will then just tell google what we
have decided :)

btw I could be wrong on some of this stuff - maybe check
http://code.google.com/soc :)

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
API Coordinator
phpGroupWare
e address@hidden
w phpgroupware.org
j address@hidden
sip address@hidden
|_|         |_|                         |_|Web based collaboration platform