Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Asking for approval

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Asking for approval
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:18:51 -0600

On Jan 26, 2008 9:24 AM, Sigurd Nes <address@hidden> wrote:
> We all agree that the code should run with E_NOTICES on.
>
> My point of view is that debugging messages are a helpful tool for developers
> to trace down flaws in the code ? but for the normal user in a production
> environment ? it should be possible to suppress this messages.
> This is currently implemented (in our project) by checking the log_level ? if
> log_level is set to 'N' (which is the (new) default setting) ? the notices
> are printed.
>
> Dave's position is that notices are bugs that shouldn't be neglected or else
> they will pile up ? and wants a permanent setting which prints all notices
> what so ever.
>
> So what I am asking is ? would you allow the flexible alternative?

maybe i'm missing something, to me this is a php setting, are you
talking about overriding that setting?  Our goal should be to have our
code work clean with common distribution default settings, which
includes notices on.  While it is common practice for production
systems to have notices off or redirected to a log file, I don't think
we should do any overriding, if a user makes changes or new
applications and needs notices off for that, that's their choice and
they can work with their host to turn them off.