[phpGroupWare-developers] Asking for approval

From: Sigurd Nes
Subject: [phpGroupWare-developers] Asking for approval
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:24:48 +0100 (MET)

Hi all,
As you probably know ? there is a Norwegian project that are building on this
excellent software.
phpGroupWare has proven to be a very powerful platform for building
applications.

The application 'property' is a facilities management system ? started in 2001
as an add-on to commercial system ? and has grown to powerful tool over the
years with capabilities of e-commerce, helpdesk, project management...
It is currently the production system for the social housing company of the
municipal of Bergen - with 5.000 dwellings (at this writing the system contains
a history of 47.952 work orders)

We are porting all the development back into phpGroupWare (Dave is making sure
the code is consistent and giving advice of coding standard) ? and this will
lead to (at last) a 0.9.18 some time this spring I think.

However ? there is one point where we have trouble reaching an agreement of how
things should work ? and I would really appreciate some opinions from the
community:

We all agree that the code should run with E_NOTICES on.

My point of view is that debugging messages are a helpful tool for developers
to trace down flaws in the code ? but for the normal user in a production
environment ? it should be possible to suppress this messages.
This is currently implemented (in our project) by checking the log_level ? if
log_level is set to 'N' (which is the (new) default setting) ? the notices are
printed.

Dave's position is that notices are bugs that shouldn't be neglected or else
they will pile up ? and wants a permanent setting which prints all notices what
so ever.

So what I am asking is ? would you allow the flexible alternative?

Regards

Sigurd