Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Asking for approval

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Asking for approval
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:21:54 +1100

Hi Sigurd,

So there is no confusion about which hat I wearing when sending this
message, I will state it up front, it is sent in my capacity as
independent developer and API coordinator.

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 16:24 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:

> We all agree that the code should run with E_NOTICES on.
>
> My point of view is that debugging messages are a helpful tool for
> developers to trace down flaws in the code ? but for the normal user
> in a production environment ? it should be possible to suppress this
> messages.
> This is currently implemented (in our project) by checking the
> log_level ? if log_level is set to 'N' (which is the (new) default
> setting) ? the notices are printed.

The hack which is currently in functions.inc.php shouldn't have been
merged back in the phpgw tree.  It was an internal hack to make it
easier to use the API while it still spewed a lot of notices, it was
always going to be dropped from the resight tree.

btw I think we should be keeping internal discussions from the ReSight
project within that project.

> Dave's position is that notices are bugs that shouldn't be neglected
> or else they will pile up ? and wants a permanent setting which prints
> all notices what so ever.

This isn't just my discussion it is an agreed position of the
coordination team.

There has been some discussion between myself and other project
coordinators and we have agreed on the following position:

* All E_NOTICE level errors will be treated like all other error levels
included in E_ALL in PHP 5.2 - release critical show stoppers.

* All developers need to use E_ALL error reporting in their development
environments

* There are some deficiencies that have been identified in the error
handler and other error/logging related classes.  We are willing to
compromise, we will happily accept a patch which is supplied which does
the following:
        - Consolidate phpgwapi_error, phpgwapi_errorlog, phpgwapi_log into 1
class

        - The error handler should log all PHP 5.2 E_ALL errors (unless
E_STRICT is specifically specified) regardless of php.ini settings - so
sysadmins get the errors

        - When display_errors is set to on in the php.ini it should display all
errors as specified in the error_reporting value of the php.ini

        - the global error reporting level be dropped as it is duplicating
php.ini settings

        - per module reporting support be retained to allow for debugging and
other diagnostics on a per module basis

        - all E_USE_FATAL errors should dump a sanitised trace with a unique id
into the VFS so it available for user/sysadmin to attach to a bug report

This replicates the existing functionality, but improves it - win win
situation :)