Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 01:29:14 +0000

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 21:36 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> Dave Hall wrote:
>
> > A few things you might want to think about too.
> >
> > There are various mobile platforms, given that there is 3 FLOSS based
> > ones openMoko, maemo and android with small market shares.  Then there
> > are the 2 dominant platforms - WinCE and the various flavours of Symbian
> > it may be hard to choose which platform to use.
> >

> Is possible to have it as a java application - working on both platforms?

j2me isn't available for the shipping free platforms above and for the
others j2me is an option, but I don't think as a GNU package we should
be encouraging gSoC projects for non free platforms.  Also just because
it is written in java doesn't mean it will just work on all platforms
which have j2me.

> > The core phpGW PIM modules are already supported by the PIM software on
> > the mobile devices.  Other modules syncing via syncml would need use one
> > of the existing syncml data types, which is likely to be somewhat
> > limiting.
> >

> Wasn't aware of this being a problem - so it is limited to PIM ?

All of the existing syncml client implementations use PIM as their
basis.

Also given the availability of 3G and wifi data it might be better to
look at developing a templating system which transparently supports
various clients using plain old (x)html or enhanced interfaces depending
on the client capabilities.  XUL could also be implemented in a similar
way.

I think something along these lines would provide something which is
more broadly useful in the future.