Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 03:19:46 +0000

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 20:35 -0600, Chris Weiss wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Dave Hall <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 21:36 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> >  Also given the availability of 3G and wifi data it might be better to
> >  look at developing a templating system which transparently supports
> >  various clients using plain old (x)html or enhanced interfaces depending
> >  on the client capabilities.  XUL could also be implemented in a similar
> >  way.
>
> welcome to phpgw goals for 1999...

The 90s just rang and asked for their groupware back ;)

> but seriously, this was discussed in some detail long ago, it's a
> great feature that many applications don't have.

Yes.  XSLT and phplib don't deliver this.  We need to look at something
different.  I am a big fan of Drupal's forms API, but I have also been
impressed with the forms stuff in the Zend Framework.  Unfortunately
neither of these support different outputs from the same "form
declaration".

The templating engine would need to take all the complexity out of it.
It would just generation the final markup, be it HTML, HTML with ajax
enhancements, XUL or something else.  For mobile clients something like
WURFL would probably be a good start - see
http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/php

Combine this with a proper MVC architecture and we will have a great
platform for future development :)

A proper spec for this would be a good place to start if people think
there is enough merit in the idea.