[phpGroupWare-developers] GSoC idea: device based formating/templates

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: [phpGroupWare-developers] GSoC idea: device based formating/templates
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:18:16 -0600

Right now we have a limitation that one must choose a template that
works with the least featureful browser they want to use.  If we added
to the API a way to detect the browser being used and fall back to
less featured template, or even a device/browser specific template,
this would improve the user experience.

Being able to login to you account and have a full AJAX interface, or
a WAP interface, or a text only interface (like from lynx) and have
all features work would be pretty nice.

To fully implement this, it would require some changes to many
applications.  Right now several apps (i can't name any, it's been too
long since I looked) do form POSTs to the BO object classes.  This has
always bugged me a bit since form processing is more or less HTML
specific.  With form processing being in the BO classes, you can't use
some other method to get data into the BO class, such as via another
function or a different UI class that my not be able to use POST,
without force populating php's $_POST array which is not guaranteed to
work in future php versions.  Completely separating BO and UI also
allows for more interface flexibility, such as better ajax, or even
XUL.