Re: SV: [phpGroupWare-developers] Coordination Team

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: SV: [phpGroupWare-developers] Coordination Team
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 01:02:00 +1100

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:30 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> [...]

GPLv3 is a requirement of being a GNU package and was discussed here
back in July last year.  The AGPL is a great license for something like
phpgw, but without rewriting large chunks of code we can't use it.

> > Most of the decision making by the coordination team isn't done through
> > formal voting, it is done via informal discussions and consensus.
> >
> > At the end of the day the community decides the direction of the
> > project, not the coordination team.  If you are unhappy about something,
> > please feel free to discuss it here.
> >

> I'm happy with discussions and consensus - but I think these
> discussions should be posted to the dev-list where everyone has a
> chance to participate and to improve traceability.

The decisions usually are. I think all discussions have an appropriate
forum, and those participating do so knowing the forum they are
discussing things in. I don't support having the full discussion
published on the dev list or other public place as this will undermine
people's ability to discuss issues openly within the coordination team.
Some issues are not appropriate to discuss publicly any time,

> Also - if there is matter where consensus is difficult to obtain - we
> could have some sort of voting mechanism.

That has always been the case.

> Important decisions and policies could be listed somewhere obvious  -
> and not buried in a mail history

Policies yes - they mostly are on the website. As for decisions, imo,
the relevant list is the most appropriate place so they can be
discussed.