Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] New logo trial

From: Maât
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] New logo trial
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 17:23:51 +0200

christian bac a écrit :
> First I want to congratulate. This skeleton looks great for me. It will
> be a great start for people that need to write an application in
> phpgroupware or for people that need to work with an application.
>
> I think it's a good idea to have the tutorial first and then to review
> in deeper the concepts and their usage (template, acl ...).

thanks :)

> Do you accept some contributions ? I can propose things on phplib
> template.

Of course i accept contributions... they are definetely welcome and very
appreciated !

> I have some questions about the content.
>
> 1) Page 11: Why do you use a redirect that will make a callback to the
> server in the index.php.
>
> $GLOBALS['phpgw']->redirect_link('/index.php',array('menuaction'=>'tutorial0.tutorial0_ui.say_hello'));

This is due to historical reasons i think... Dave or others well trained
phpgroupware veterans could explain more accurately.

I guess that switching to OO design at some moment of phpGroupWare life
needed this redirection for people used to old style urls targetting
directly app instead of root index.php

> I would have created an object and then used the say hello method, that
> avoids creating a call to the web server ?
> example:
> $tut_obj = createObject('tutorial0.tutorial0_ui');
> $tut_obj->say_hello();

well i bet this could work provided ../header.inc.php is included before.

What do core developers think ?

> 2) page 16: why do you clone the template object?

Perhaps this is not the best idea to do that... but that avoids painful
interactions between app level and phpgroupware level for templates.

I this is not correct i'd like to know so that i can change.

> 3) page 18: why do you reference the database object?
>
> C.Bac

it's for perfomance sake if i understood well. i believe that this
reference avoids php to make an implicit duplication the db manager
object.... Dave you'll have to explain more because i'm not sure to be
really correct.

thanks again Christian :)

Maât