pika-dev

Re: [Pika-dev] so... string work

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Pika-dev] so... string work
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:30:26 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Tom Lord <address@hidden>

    >     >     t_udstr scm_string_value (t_scm_arena arena, t_scm_word *
value);

    >     > should have a GC-independant lifetime like the
scm_big(num|rat)_value
    >     > functions.

    > The issue is t_udstr is not intended to be a thread-safe or async-safe
    > function.   A t_udstr owned by a Scheme object may change size or
    > encoding or (data) address at essentially any time.

Which, by the way, is what makes them different from bignums.   It's
reasoanble for bignums to act like "constant" values that happen to
require explicit deallocation but the same isn't true of strings.

Gee, I've been presuming that GMP is thread/async-safe.  Is it?  (If
not, that doesn't change any interfaces -- only implementations,
later, when threading and asyncs are added.)

-t