pika-dev

Re: [Pika-dev] xl, xxl, and mxl

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Pika-dev] xl, xxl, and mxl
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 15:50:39 +0200

Hi. Jeremy (and other readers of this list as well): you may be
interested in Conjure, a project i just launched. It is (will be) a
make replacement written in Scheme; and not only 'written', makefiles
will *be* Scheme: it will address all the issues you mention, and then
more. I'm sure i don't need to extend myself on the advantages that
using Scheme brings to the picture.

Conjure is planned to become part of GNU, and i hope this will give
the project a chance of not becoming 'just another make replacement'
that falls into oblivion :). As a GNU project, we'll base it
(initially) on Guile, but i want to write it with portability across
platforms in mind. For instance, i'd love to make it run on Pika (as
an aside, Tom, if you're reading this, what's the status of Pika? has
it been abandoned? what are your plans?)... as a matter of fact, were
Pika a reality today, i'd provide support for it from the very
beginning.

The project is still in its 'planning' stage, so that all there is to
it right now are some design notes and proof of concept code
(see http://gna.org/projects/conjure). I would be very happy of
hearing your opinions, suggestions or whatnot, here or (if anyone is
interested enough) in our devel mailing list... i'll use any help i
can get to try to do the Right Thing (TM), specially on the design
phase (coding will be easy by comparison).

Regards,
jao
--
You are never too old to be what you might have been.
 -George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans), novelist (1819-1880)