Re: Pingus Configuration Tool

From: Marcio Luis Teixeira
Subject: Re: Pingus Configuration Tool
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:52:17 -0700

On Thursday 19 December 2002 08:10 pm, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> I have started a Pingus Configuration tool, its currently not more
> than a simple empty glade prototype, but anyway here it goes:

Well, on the one hand, it looks really nice.

But on the other hand, a configuration tool for a game? Isn't that a bit too,
uh, geeky?

I once read a critique of Linux for being too difficult for the desktop, and
they pointed out that Linux apps often overdo it with configurability or do
things in a way which are to complicated for the average user. I hate saying
this, but a configuration tool for a game is walking that fine line. Every
game I've seen so far has some sort of built-in options menu that is
integrated in the game -- most users expect that. Why does Pingus have to be
different?

Anyhow, there is also the more practical concern that games are typically
ported to other platforms -- porting an SDL game is easy, porting an SDL game
with a Gtk interface is not.

Ok, that's my honest opinion. Sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. I just think
this deserves serious thought before you spend too much more time with it.

Marcio Luis Teixeira