Re: Mouse click timing on 0.6.0

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Mouse click timing on 0.6.0
Date: 15 Jun 2003 20:17:48 +0200

Am Son, 2003-06-15 um 15.13 schrieb John August:
> I'm running 0.6.0 on a 1200 Mhz machine. When I click on the left mouse
> button,
> it takes a little under a second for pingus to recognise the click, after
> which I must release the button for things to happen.

I'm running Pingus on a 733 Mhz machine and I don't have a delay that is
in any way comparable to this. Are you running much background tasks or
some such?

> This makes timing very difficult. Armageddon / Nuking a level is very
> difficult, because you need two clicks.  On an earlier version
> 0.5.0pre4, I find the program responds to mouse clicks as rapidly as I
> can make them - a tenth of a second or so.

Comparing it to previous versions isn't all to helpfull - the input
layer was completely rewritten about a year ago. Since I'm the one who
coded the lower level part I'm interested in this problem. :-)

> If anyone can point me in the right direction in the code, assuming its an
> encoded delay rather than an overall problem, I'd be happy to try to fix
> it myself.

The relevant code is in src/input/buttons/mouse_button.cxx but if you
take a look there you'll see that it's just polling the state of the
buttons from ClanLib. Your computer should be more then fast enough to
get good response times, so there must be something else wrong.
You're the first to complain about it, so I'll suppose the problem
beeing local to your installation for now. ;-)

> I'm not on the list, please cc me.

Please subscribe, it's not much traffic anyway.

Bye David