Re: Level comment management tool

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Level comment management tool
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:18:15 +0200

Am Mon, 2003-08-18 um 20.09 schrieb Ingo Ruhnke:
> No, nobody would configure it anyway, so it would not be needed. As
> long at it launches any browser that would be enough. Under Windows
> there should be ways to launch the default browser under GNU/Linux a:
> for i in $BROWSER mozilla galeon konqueror netscape ...; do
>  $i $URL
> done
> should do

I agree, that ought to work too. May not be the most professional
approach but we need only something that works. (S)he who want's
something more sophisticated may write it. ;-)

> The real interesting thing would be to turn all this into more than
> just a simple 'comment the existing levels' tool, but instead making
> it a dynamic repository for levels where people can submit new levels
> easily. After all rating the existing levels is not really that
> important.

Adding a upload button shouldn't be much work and generating an
automatic message to pingus-devel or rather pingus-cvs shouldn't be a
problem either.
Rating the existing levels could get more usefull if we add a list of
the planned worlds and some sort of voting system so that people may
help deciding how the next worlds will look like. On the one hand, this
should attract people, on the other hand it should save work for us. :-)
This would require some sort of overview of the planned works which
shows their planned background (exists already IIRC) and some rough
criteria a level must fullfill to be considered for the world, e.g.
theme of the graphics used, difficulty etc.
We could also ask for ideas about how the story should continue and
besides comments example description for levels may be collected. Why
not make the design process of Pingus as open as possible? After all,
we'll just be collecting suggestions with no obligation to use them if
they're bad. ;-)

Bye Dvaid