Re: New win32 binaries with console

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: New win32 binaries with console
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:29:51 +0100

> well the debug version works, without crashes, I have not had a chance to
> test the release version fully. all crashed including an editor crash i
> failed to report seem to rleate to the shift of focus in the full screen
> version. I will update this group on any further problems i discover. It
> appears that the win 32 binary will soon be releaseable.  I hope that a
> workaround can be found for the current oppening of a new window, but for
> now that works. :)

I don't know how the console allocation works (I haven't downloaded the
binary yet), but I guess it uses the AllocConsole function somewhere along
the way. As of WindowsXP (or 2000 - I can't remember) there is a new
function to get a console handle from your parent, AttachConsole.

AttachConsole(ATTACH_PARENT_CONSOLE), which is at MSDN at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/attachconsole.asp
(btw. ATTACH_PARENT_CONSOLE = -1, despite not being mentioned anywhere!)

If you changed to use this instead of the AllocConsole on WindowsXP systems
(just try GetProcAddress and see if it fails), then you could use the
correct console where possible.

Neil