playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] playogg/faq: unclear phrase

From: Oleg Koptev
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] playogg/faq: unclear phrase
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:11:32 +0400

Hello, list!

I have some questions if you're not against.

Isn't campaign sentence 'bout WMP, RP and and other popular players  too strong? Especially in part 'companies ... restrict the users and spy on them'? Yep I know FSF style of compaigns carrying frequently uses loud words, but eh? There must be logic also.

Don't know about WMP or Real Player inner, possible spy things, but I'm quite sure there are many free (and non-open-source in the same time) audioplayers that are not spy on the users.

What means in general word 'spy' in that context?

Also paragraph named 'Nothing to lose!' have too strong declaration. 'You don't lose any technical quality with Ogg Vorbis'. If I want to save all quality and compress audio in the same time then I'll go for FLAC. OGG Vorbis non lossless as well-known here at list, so it is destructive by it's nature. Please note - I'm not compare mp3 and ogg here.

There're my morning thoughts. Please forgive me for my poor English.

Best wishes, Oleg