playogg-discuss

Re: [playogg-discuss] Flash - was - Re: playogg-discuss Digest, Vol 13,

From: VolodyA! V Anarhist
Subject: Re: [playogg-discuss] Flash - was - Re: playogg-discuss Digest, Vol 13, Issue 2
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 19:21:37 +0400

As much as I want to see Ogg Vorbis succeed there are outstanding
problems that really need to be considered ahead of the Mp3 problem- I
think. Maybe I'm wrong here. This is my thinking though. Flash is as
essential component of the modern web and "everybody" needs it. We don't
have a viable free flash player still. I'm glad to see Gnash is coming
along and FINALLY reached 7.x compatibility with SWF 7... almost... that
key word being almost. We need to put energy into that project unless
the resources we have aren't suited for it.

You have probably missed the whole HTML5 fiasco. Ogg was going to be included in HTML specifications, so that people could use that for their audio/video and know for sure that it will be played on any machine. But Apple, Nokia, and some others demanded that the standard doesn't specify Ogg, thus making the whole thing useless. Google is planning to switch YouTube to use aac.h264.mp4, and even issued the statement that Ogg would break the internet if it would be adopted.

                - Volodya

--
http://freedom.libsyn.com/     Echo of Freedom, Radical Podcast

 "None of us are free until all of us are free."    ~ Mihail Bakunin