protux-design

Re: [Protux-design] bus routing - project save

From: Martin Herren
Subject: Re: [Protux-design] bus routing - project save
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:52:06 +0100

tapio laxström wrote:

Some questions came up to my mind...

Should bus routing setting be saved with project in future?
If so, how are handled those situations when wanted bus is not present?

My "pro quality" soundcard is external usb card, which is not allways connected (I'm using laptop).

good point. no idea what Lucian will decide, but i think it would be good to save those settings. if the bus is not present, just use a default value... so as long as you use the same computer, with the same cards, you won't have to re-set those setting every time.

but i don't think it should be saved as a project attribute, but rather as a song attribute, as different song in a same project may require different routing.

ps. when subdevice routing is implemented, it is good test soundcard:
emi 2|6 provides one playback bus, with 6 channels (like surround systems). I'm not sure how alsa-usb handles it, but with oss driver those 6 channels need to accessed same time with one interleaved sample.

are you sure you can access these 6 channels with 6 independent interleaved signals ?
so yes, it would be interesting to test it with sub-device routing...
but it would be more interesting to have 6 inputs ;-)

my sb live is a 5+1, that means it has 5 channels, + one subwoofer channel, but i don't think that they can be accessed as 6 mono channels... i thought you access them with a signal with a special encoding (even perhaps compressed), which is used by movies and so...

but perhaps your emi 2|6 can...

/Martin