[Protux-devel] So, may the UNDO discussion begin ...

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: [Protux-devel] So, may the UNDO discussion begin ...
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:47:38 -0300

Hi all,
this is to talk about some initial ideas I have about the UNDO stuff.

First of all, I was told that there are two basic approachs on implementing
UNDO engine.

1 - the memory snapshot approach
2 - the action pipeing approach

the memory snapshot , or MS for shot, refers to the ability of saving /
serializing all objects in a given moment, save it someway
and then, in case of a undo, retrieve the last saved object images

the action pipeing approach, or AP, refers to the concept that EACH action has
a anti-action, and the program has the abilty of pushing all
undoable actions into a pipe, and in case of undo, to perform the anti-action
in a reverse order

Ok, so to put a initial fire on this matter, I think I preferen the AP
approach, since it fits more in the JMB philosophy. Also, the MS apprach
requires
lots of RAM, and usually leads to memory leaks, or even crashes.

RFC (surely) ...

--
Best Regards