Re: [Protux-devel] Status/implementation multiple bitdepth/samplerate et

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] Status/implementation multiple bitdepth/samplerate etc. support
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:50:20 +0200

> > 1.
> > SND_PCM_FORMAT_S32_LE --- the actual bitdepth can be (16?? or) 24 bits,
> > but stored in a "word". The card internally handles all samples with 32
> > bits at a time. There is no "real" 32 bit support (DAC, ADC are 24 bits)
>
> I started the several-bitdephts/formats supports, but I had to interrupt
> it. I will get back on this soon.

Nice, I thought so, and that's the reason I'll let you know this, to take care
of the "strange" hw settings for audiocards like mine ;-)

> > 10 channels.
>
> == 10 mono buses ? (in mutux terminology) or 5 stereo ?

10 stereo buses, ice1712 can handle really a lot of stereo buses at once :-),
but as I said, only 2 are used physicaly as MADM detects in /proc/asound/
devices

> > So my suggestion in this is:
> > Detect the cards "real" bitdepth, channels, and rate support, test these
> > values with MustuxAudioBus::supports (or place this detection code in
> > this method).
>
> I thought It was doing it ... :-(

Alas, there's actually no detection code for the "real" support for bitdepth
etc, an audio card has.
Use the snd_pcm_hw_params_get_* methods to get the "real" channels, bitdepht
and rate support

> I agree. As I said, I plan to finish the multi-bitdepth/rates very soon
> (perheps next week already, when my gig is done)

Very good, if you have any questions related on how to use it with my type of
soundcard, please let me know. Then I can test as soon as your finished with
some code, to see if it works with my soundcard.

Ehm, a bit off-topic, but I cant find where the audio is loaded into the Bus
transferBuffer?

And I have really no idea how to use 2 ISA soundcards. Sorry :-(

Greets,

Remon

P.S. Fixed a "bug" in BusMonitor, which is actually not a bug in BusMonitor
but a routine-bug in MADM/Mixer. Not very important, just to let you know, as
it can be something to mention when MADM is used by another application.
Fixes a segfault which only happened after a long recording stops (> 15
minutes)
I've been recording files >30 minutes without crashing protux :-)